Teck’s copper growth plans advance with Zafranal regulatory nod

12th May 2023

By: Creamer Media Reporter


Font size: - +

Canadian miner Teck Resources on Friday announced that the Zafranal copper project, in Peru, had received regulatory approval, marking an important step in the company’s strategy to grow its copper business.

“Zafranal will be a low-cost, long-life operation, and is a key part of Teck’s industry-leading pipeline of high-quality, low-cost copper assets in well-established mining jurisdictions in the Americas,” said CEO Jonathan Price.

Located in the Arequipa region, in southern Peru, Zafranal has an expected mine life of 19 years and will produce copper/gold concentrates through an openpit mining and conventional concentration process.

Copper ore processing, including crushing, grinding, flotation, thickening and filtering, will be carried out in a concentrator plant with a processing capacity of up to 80 000 t/d of ore throughput. The mine and concentrator are expected to produce an average of 133 000 t of copper contained in concentrate during its first five years of production.

A feasibility study of the Zafranal project was completed in June 2019 and was updated in January 2020 to include discrete value-added engineering updates.

Moving forward, the Zafranal team will update project capital and operating cost estimates and will develop detailed engineering plans as well as minor permitting activities through 2023.

Teck said the project could be positioned for a formal project sanction decision as early as the first half of 2024.

Teck owns an 80% stake in Zafranal and Japanese firm Mitsubishi Materials holds the remaining 20%.

Edited by Creamer Media Reporter



Magni SA
Magni SA

Magni SA is committed to developing the safest Telehandlers available to our customers for underground and surface mining, construction, forestry,...

Booyco Electronics
Booyco Electronics

Booyco Electronics, South African pioneer of Proximity Detection Systems, offers safety solutions for underground and surface mining, quarrying,...


Latest Multimedia

sponsored by

Photo of Martin Creamer
ARM, GoldOre, Gautrain make headlines
22nd September 2023
Magazine cover image
Magazine round up | 22 September 2023
22nd September 2023
Resources Watch image
Resources Watch
21st September 2023

Option 1 (equivalent of R125 a month):

Receive a weekly copy of Creamer Media's Engineering News & Mining Weekly magazine
(print copy for those in South Africa and e-magazine for those outside of South Africa)
Receive daily email newsletters
Access to full search results
Access archive of magazine back copies
Access to Projects in Progress
Access to ONE Research Report of your choice in PDF format

Option 2 (equivalent of R375 a month):

All benefits from Option 1
Access to Creamer Media's Research Channel Africa for ALL Research Reports, in PDF format, on various industrial and mining sectors including Electricity; Water; Energy Transition; Hydrogen; Roads, Rail and Ports; Coal; Gold; Platinum; Battery Metals; etc.

Already a subscriber?

Forgotten your password?







sq:0.074 0.11s - 113pq - 2rq
Subscribe Now