https://www.miningweekly.com
Construction|Consulting|Design|Engineering|Gold|Marine|Mining|Power|PROJECT|Services|Storage|Technology|Equipment|Operations
Construction|Consulting|Design|Engineering|Gold|Marine|Mining|Power|PROJECT|Services|Storage|Technology|Equipment|Operations
construction|consulting-company|design|engineering|gold|marine|mining|power|project|services|storage|technology|equipment|operations

Sabodala-Massawa gold mine expansion, Senegal – update

Gold bars from the Sabodala-Massawa mine

Photo by Endeavour Mining

8th March 2024

By: Sheila Barradas

Creamer Media Research Coordinator & Senior Deputy Editor

     

Font size: - +

Name of the Project
Sabodala-Massawa gold mine expansion.

Location
About 630 km east-southeast of Dakar, in Senegal.

Project Owner/s
Endeavour Mining acquired a 90% interest in the Sabodala-Massawa mine in February 2021, as part of its acquisition of Teranga Gold Corporation. The remaining 10% of the mine is held by the Senegal government.

Project Description
The Sabodala-Massawa mine comprises several openpit operations on the highly prospective Birimian Greenstone Belt. 

Nonrefractory ore is treated at a four-million-tonne-a-year carbon-in-leach (CIL) plant that achieved commercial production in November 2009. 

Endeavour expedited the completion of the initial upgrades at the existing CIL plant in 2021, and simultaneously advanced the definitive feasibility study for the addition of a refractory ore processing plant to confirm the economic viability of processing the high-grade refractory ores from the Massawa Central Zone and Massawa North Zone deposits. 

Endeavour launched the construction of the 1.2-million-tonne-a-year BIOX circuit in 2022, to process the large refractory ore resource. 

The expansion is expected to add 194 000 oz/y of incremental production over the first five years. Production is anticipated to increase above 400 000 oz from 2025.

Potential Job Creation
The project has a workforce of 1 640 people.

Net Present Value/Internal Rate of Return
The project has a pretax net present value, at a 5% discount rate and $1 700/oz gold price, of $1.13-million and an internal rate of return of 83%, with a payback of 1.3 years.

Capital Expenditure
The project is estimated at $290-million.

Planned Start/End Date
First gold pour from the BIOX plant is expected in early 2024.

Latest Developments
Wet commissioning activities are under way at the project.

The project is 91% complete, with the first gold pour scheduled for early May 2024, as expected.

Key Contracts, Suppliers and Consultants
Lycopodium Minerals (DFS); Minescope Services (consulting on the process plant); Metso-Outotec (BIOX and milling technology); Land and Marine Geological Services (design and execution of the tailings storage facility); QGE (power station expansion engineering services and management of the delivery of the power station expansion by an original-equipment manufacturer on a lump-sum turnkey basis).

Contact Details for Project Information
Endeavour Mining, tel +44 203 011 2723 or email info@endeavourmining.com.


 

Edited by Creamer Media Reporter

Comments

Showroom

WearCheck
WearCheck

Leading condition monitoring specialists, WearCheck, help boost machinery lifespan and reduce catastrophic component failure through the scientific...

VISIT SHOWROOM 
Weir Minerals Africa and Middle East
Weir Minerals Africa and Middle East

Weir Minerals Europe, Middle East and Africa is a global supplier of excellent minerals solutions, including pumps, valves, hydrocyclones,...

VISIT SHOWROOM 

Latest Multimedia

sponsored by

Magazine round up | 10 May 2024
Magazine round up | 17 May 2024
17th May 2024

Option 1 (equivalent of R125 a month):

Receive a weekly copy of Creamer Media's Engineering News & Mining Weekly magazine
(print copy for those in South Africa and e-magazine for those outside of South Africa)
Receive daily email newsletters
Access to full search results
Access archive of magazine back copies
Access to Projects in Progress
Access to ONE Research Report of your choice in PDF format

Option 2 (equivalent of R375 a month):

All benefits from Option 1
PLUS
Access to Creamer Media's Research Channel Africa for ALL Research Reports, in PDF format, on various industrial and mining sectors including Electricity; Water; Energy Transition; Hydrogen; Roads, Rail and Ports; Coal; Gold; Platinum; Battery Metals; etc.

Already a subscriber?

Forgotten your password?

MAGAZINE & ONLINE

SUBSCRIBE

RESEARCH CHANNEL AFRICA

SUBSCRIBE

CORPORATE PACKAGES

CLICK FOR A QUOTATION







sq:0.236 0.289s - 93pq - 2rq
1:
1: United States
Subscribe Now
2: United States
2: