This was part of Lonmin's R700-million programme to eliminate hostel accommodation at its South African mines and replace it with 6 000 employee-owned homes over the next five years.
Lonmin CEO Brad Mills, who interrogated the mineworker-housing situation at Lonmin over a number of months and, in the process, also spent a night at one of the hostels, last year described the current accommodation model as unsustainable.
He said that 38% of the Lonmin workforce still lived in hostels and the plan was to work with Rand Merchant Bank (RMB) to ensure that all Lonmin personnel were accommodated in family units within three to five years. RMB had agreed to finance the project and Lonmin would sign surety for the homes, which would be employee-owned. As of last year, Lonmin had 26 534 employees in all, which included its contractors.
The contracts would be awarded in February, and were to be completed by the end of September, the advertisement said.
The advert also highlighted that attention would be paid to local labour and supplies, as well as black economic empowerment. Tender documents were available from Monday, and a compulsory briefing session would take place at 10:00 on January 17, at Lonmin's Western Platinum mine.