PERTH (miningweekly.com) – Oil and gas major Woodside on Wednesday moved to allay employment concerns, telling Mining Weekly Online that recent staff cuts would not be permanent.
The Australian Workers Union earlier this week claimed that some 900 staff has been stood down at Woodside’s operations as part of the company’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
A spokesperson for Woodside told Mining Weekly Online that while specific numbers were not available at this stage, the staff cuts resulted from the decision to reduce or defer non-essential maintenance and refurbishment works at the Karratha gas plant.
The spokesperson said that in cases where a contractor employee is required to stand down before the scheduled end of their current shift, Woodside will ensure that employee is paid out to the end of their shift.
“We acknowledge in particular the potential for this decision to have flow-on effects into the local community, including local business subcontractors and suppliers. To mitigate these effects, we have taken a number of steps to support our local business partners including expediting payments where possible.
“We have also established a A$3-million Covid-19 Community Fund to support local organisations in our operational home town of Karratha.”
The spokesperson said that Woodside would work to re-establish normal operating practices as soon as practicable.