TORONTO (miningweekly.com) – Stornoway Diamond Corp, which is developing Quebec’s first diamond mine, on Tuesday, said strike action by the Alliance of Unionised Construction Workers of Quebec had been settled, with only a “negligible impact” on the construction of the critical road leading to the company’s flagship Renard project.
Stornoway said construction of the Renard mine road was progressing on schedule and within budget.
The road was one of the critical components needed to build and operate the $752-million Renard project, and entailed the construction of a single-lane mining road over the remaining 97 km section that was not covered by the Ministry of Transport Quebec.
The company, earlier this month, said good progress on the construction of the all-weather road was made in April and May, and overall completion currently stood at 22% with seven of the required 16 permanent bridges already in place.
The first all-season vehicle access to Renard was scheduled for October, well within schedule.